|“||The mask is toxic, don't wear it for too long. That's one thing to maintain, your oxygen||”|
— Phone Guy, The Return to Freddy's 2
The Freddy Mask is a vital in-game mechanic of The Return to Freddy's Classic. The Mask serves as the main defense mechanism of the game, just like FNaF 2. If any of the animatronics come into the player’s office, the player must quickly put on the Freddy Mask (with a slight delay of about 2 seconds) or else the player will get jumpscared. However, the player can’t wear the mask for to long or else the player will die from the toxic materials inside the mask that got in there when the building was in construction.
According to Vincent, the Freddy Mask is just a spare Freddy Fazbear head borrowed from an older location, now just used just for kids to mess around with these days, it’s of course also used to defend off the animatronics by the nightguards.
- Whenever the player puts on the Freddy Mask, the player must be very precise with their timing, as if the player puts on the mask to quick or to slow, the player will be instantly jumpscared by whatever animatronic is in your office.
- The Toxic meter actually drains faster depending on the game. The first two demos of The Return to Freddy's 2 Alpha and the first game have it drain the fastest while in TRTF 2 it drains the slowest.
- During the cutscenes between each night, in TRTF2, the player wears a puppet mask, unlike the Freddy mask in FNAF2 cutscenes and some of TRTF:C cutscenes
The Freddy Mask is an important game mechanic in The Return to Freddy's 2 and returns for the 1st time since TRTF: C. Just like the previous game, the Freddy Mask is the main defense mechanism against the animatronics. If any of the animatronics into your office (bedsides Foxy and Dug) the player must quickly put on the Freddy Mask. If the player puts the mask on to late, uniquips the mask or doesn’t wear it at all, the player will instantly be jumpscared by whatever animatronic is in your hallway. However, just like last time, the player can’t wear the Freddy Mask to long, or else the player’s Toxic Meter will fill up and the player will die due to toxicity.
- Strangely, the mask from the final version of TRTF 2 is actually using Freddy Fazbear’s beta model, even after the model was replaced.
- However in the Game Over Screen, the mask model is actually just presumably using Freddy’s current model, unlike the mask we see in-game.
- Unlike FNaF 2, the player can actually strangely still shine their flashlight down the hall even after equipping the Freddy head.